Wednesday, January 19, 2011

The Saga of Phyllis, the Umbrella, and the monkey or Cheeky Little Buggers



do they remind you of any family members?????



I was SO excited to go to Monkey Forest Sanctuary, which is a protected sanctuary for  Monkeys in Ubud. It is of course a big attraction, simply because the monkeys are so tame, and really like to put on a show.
monkey with bright pink umbrella (sorry for the backlit quality!)

monkey climbing the tree (still with cap in hand)

umbrella with the yams


As we neared the entrance, I was telling my mom how frightened I was that one would jump on my head. She reassured me that she had already been here a few times, and the monkeys have absolutely no interest in you unless you have something they want (ie a water bottle or some dangly jewelry, or a banana). We walked a ways through, and were about to go down to one of the temples when a monkey jumped on my mother and snatched her fuchsia umbrella out of her bag and scampered up a tree with it. The monkey unscrewed the plastic handle, and for a while looked as if it may even open the umbrella (I was hoping it would just to see the look of shock on its face).

Later we still saw the monkey chewing on the handle, though the umbrella had been rescued by one of the caretakers, and put in the case with the yams. We had a good laugh about it!

travelin' woman and her travelin' daughter


No comments:

Post a Comment