Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Birthday Surprises

Family at Ina Inn surprised me with a celebration!
I  woke up early on January 4.  I had a big smile on my face; and my first thought was, Zena told me her favorite year was her 55th.
My bird was still screeching, "Forget Me Forget Me".  The sun was out.  
To borrow a phrase," a year of magical breathing, thinking and living"  had already begun.

I had a really nice yoga class, slow flow...... where we held poses for...........a lovely eternity.    The night before, YogaBarn had premiered a pre-release of "Happy", a new documentary which I heartily and heartfully endorse.  www.thehappymovie.com
For those of you contemplating all  there is about what it takes to be happy (is this a rhetorical question or what?)..... please check out the website.
Kafe (best organic food and schmoozing place) Indian plate
I met MaryJane for lunch where I thought I might have a piece of cake, but frankly after Kafe's yummy Indian plate, passionfruit juice,young green coconut water and a cappuccino....  there was no room or passion for cake.  (I have yet to have cake here..... i am waiting for my chocoholic daughter to arrive later in the week to indulge off her plate)
MaryJane at Kafe (who will be moving to Ubud from Calgary,Canada)
I received the funniest card from Peggy F. and a movie (chinese) from MaryJane ........I must say my birthday wishes are always modest (as when one is born Jan.4; no one wants to drink anymore champagne or look at chocolate..... it tends to be abstemious)
I arrived back home at 5pm and there was a rose tucked into 
my door (from Putu, one of the young men who work here),
some more flowers on my bed (from Wayan, another) and a huge vase of tuberoses (ahhhhhh what a scent) standing in my room.
I was also told that the family with whom I stay with would be throwing me a party with birthday cake (very Un-Balinese) later this evening.
WOW.  I am overwhelmed

Ina performing the morning blessings
the breakfast (makan pagi) chefs, Putu and Wayan
this offering was my "dinner" a mountain of rice ,coconut, chicken, peanuts with the scent of incense and frangipani
At 9pm, after praying at the temple most of the day, Nyoman arrived at my door with the most beautiful of offerings, cake and flowers (orchids!).
Nyoman going to UluWatu, for DewiSita (Rice Goddess) ceremony
Putu, Wayan,Nyoman, Wayan balik (Kadek's boyfriend),Kadek       

The cake was Yummy.  Very delicate, with strawberries.  Kadek, made it.  (still don't know how, balinese kitchens have no ovens).  Perhaps she bought the cake and then assembled it.  It was beautifully decorated.  I found out that in addition to her studying dance, her major in college is Balinese culture, religion and philosophy.  She goes to school in Denpasar. (20 miles away..... but it takes 1.5 hours to get to because of road conditions and traffic)
offering left on my table the morning of jan.5
Putu performing the morning blessings at my cottage
I am indeed a lucky girl!  (and appreciative)

 travelin' woman



No comments:

Post a Comment