Saturday, March 17, 2012

Small Indignities

Gecko Egg
There are plenty of indignities in life; we just try and ignore them,endure them ......and hopefully laugh out loud about them.
Traveling really has its share, as one is out of ones element,and the specificity of place often eludes us.

All throughout out SE Asia geckos small and large live
"amongst" us.  In Bali, there was not only many many geckos who lived in my cottage, but a larger "tokay"  (male)
who did his dance of seduction regularly above me.... especially in the bath. I named him "Don".
It was a regular occurrence to get "peed" upon....as most geckos live up on the ceiling (and walls and shelves) and well we are below.  Buona Fortuna!
In Bali, there was a mosquito netting canopy over my bed, therefore  I was usually spared receiving the other thing that comes out of geckos.  I was Lucky.


Now, I am not using my mosquito netting (even though I should....the dreaded dengue) but i am too claustrophobic in this tiny bed.  Therefore I am getting peed upon.( and the other)... kinda regularly.  Last night around 10pm I am reading a really really good book, "A Gate at the Stairs" by Lorrie Moore and regularly looking above me to keep an eye on the gecko perched there.  Sometimes you Just Know.  Well- all of a sudden.... she turns upside down and I see something white....and I Jump Out Of Bed.........not knowing.... but knowing Enough.
PLOP!
An egg drops on my bed.

I call MinJoo (Korean student writing her dissertation next to me (on the "peace" opportunities as the country transitions)
and she comes running.  We cannot believe it.  We take pictures. (She's from Seoul, and the things from the "country" really freak her out)  And of course I try and move the egg, which is both Sticky+ Gooey and Soft.  We scream.
I then Google gestation periods of the gecko egg.  4-8 weeks.  Don't move it (it will drown in yolk).  All very interesting things: I think it was unsurvivable from the twisting fall.  None the less..... the egg remains in the room.


What small indignity have you suffered from recently?????


How often do you say.....isn't Google amazing?.
(we all remember trudging down to the library to utilize the periodical index).


sometime i do love technology




travelin' woman

No comments:

Post a Comment