Sunday, March 11, 2012

The Red Ant and the Green Caterpillar

The Red Ant and the Green Caterpillar


Death comes to us all
And for those, many
It will be a struggle


Is it a meal time pastime
To harvest ones dinner by a duel to the end
That crucial deadly will to eat/be eaten.

Who will survive
The sting of the red ant?

The thrashing scamper
The eternal twist
Of a green caterpillar.

And I
Who has my meal placed upon the table
Harvested by others

Prepared for me
Of living green things; but not caterpillars.

Cannot move
Cannot move the insects
But must in my own struggle
To just observe
Observe

My own lusty appetite
Turns green

The sweet pineapple becomes cloying
The crunchy salad becomes hard to digest
The carrots scream an orange scream of rage

And the killer ant is forced askew/askance into a pugilistic misapprehension.

And this is the hows and the whys of the red ant and green caterpillar.

Does it matter how it ends?

From my table I arise, and walk assertively away.
Being eyed, or not

As I succumb to my own will
To have ingested enough.



Mirissa, Sri Lanka - March 2012
 

p.s. Apologies to WCW: the tautology may resemble his famous poem but obviously This is not That.


travelin' woman

No comments:

Post a Comment